Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Social Media to the Rescue for Haiti

On Tuesday Jan. 12 I was sitting on a barstool in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic when it started rocking gently back and forth. A sign above the bar started swinging so I turned to my friends and said, “Do you feel that? I think it’s an earthquake!”

Obviously I was right, but at the time I had no idea of the devastation that had been caused in Haiti. It wasn’t until the following day that heart-wrenching photos started filling the pages of newspapers across the world, and donations started pouring in.

I’ve always known that you can send money by mail and over the Internet, but I had no idea what a huge role social media is now playing in all aspects of our lives: my cell phone provider, Rogers, sent me a text message saying to reply HELP and $5 would be donated to support victims. The Mobile Giving Foundation site provides a list of 17 charitable organizations that you can text a donation to. Within 36 hours of the disaster, mobile donations to relief efforts for Haiti topped $7 million.

It’s pretty amazing how people pull together in a disaster situation. Here’s an article about people who have nothing themselves are still trying to help those in Haiti.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/blog/2010/01/canadians-open-their-hearts-and-wallets-for-haiti.html

No comments:

Post a Comment